Sunday, May 17, 2009

Owings Mills Farmer's Market

This morning was the Grand Opening of the Owings Mills Farmer's Market!

I was so excited to see who would be there and what goodies would be offered. When I first got there I was taken over by the beauty and fragrance of fresh flowers. They were gorgeous. They offered hanging baskets, plants to grow and fresh cut. The prices were very reasonable and the selection was varied. I ended up buying two of the fresh cut flowers to put in my kitchen.





Hanging plants


Hanging plants

Fresh cut

I then moved on to the next booth that offered some very unusual spreads. Infused Spreads by E 2. They are a company based out of Baltimore that makes jellys, jams, marmalades and spreads to put on anything from bread to meat. The items offered are definitely not your run of the mill spreads. I sampled the orange chipotle and another one with mango. They were both delish. However, I ended up buying the Grapefruit, jalapeno mint marmalade and the Christmas morning Sweet Potato Butter! I can't wait to try them. The flavors are unique but balanced. The orange chipotle was a interest mix of citrus with a hit of heat. I am not to into super sweet spreads the heat took it down a notch and really brought out the orange flavor. I will definitely be going back for more. If you are interested in contacting them: infusedspread@yahoo.com

Yum!!!

I moved to my left and found a table of Msprity's spa Luxuries. Homemade scrubs, soups, lotions and gels. The smells were incredible and the fact that the products are homemade with natural ingredients was even better. I was given a sample of the lotion ( I love samples!) and liked it so much that I ended up buying a few products. I walked away with some lip balm ( the woman who made the products said it was the best!) and some microderm facial cream. I can't wait to try them. She also offers pamper parties! I am totally booking one. I love the fact that I can get a bunch of my friends together to drink wine and relax. Book me one today!!!


The next stop was a table with information about Grass-fed Beef and Lamb.

KOL (Kosher Organic-raised Local Foods)


We are a values-based business. We believe that people, animals and the environment should benefit in every step of our production. More and more health benefits are being found with sustainable, 100% grassfed meat. We produce post-industrial beef and lamb sourced from local family-owned farms who organically raise their animals entirely on pasture. Our animals receive no hormones, antibiotics, animal biproducts or preservatives. In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, the animals are shechted and kashered within 2 hours of the farms on which they were raised; the products are wrapped with minimal packaging.




You can go on the website and place an order. They have drop offs once a month. They are working on the website and in about 8 weeks you will be able to go online and order and have the products shipped directly to your house.

So moving right along..lol. I couldn't help but notice a table with the biggest, reddest and juicest looking strawberries. These were definitely not the strawberries that you would get in the plastic packaging at the grocery store. These looked delish! I grabbed up two containers. Of course one for me and one for my husband. I knew there would be no sharing..lol! And snagged a bunch of asparagus as well.



I then went to the Mallow Munchies tent (mallowmunchies@yahoo.com) and found what will probably be my husband's favorite treat. She had 6 different and delish types of rice crisp treats. They included original, PB&J, Dipped, Marble, Caramallow and Crunch. Each with its only unique flavor and toppings. The best part is that the marshmallows are made from SCRATCH which gives this treat a very fresh and homemade taste.


I rounded out my trip with a stop at the Springfield Farm stand. They have organic free-range eggs, butter, chicken, turkey, beef and wild game. You can order from the farm website and they will bring it to the Farmer's Market each week. The best part is you know where your meat is coming from.

"Sustainable agricultural methods are practiced where the animals are given nothing which is not natural – no hormones, antibiotics, chemicals, etc. All animals are offered free-range during the grass growing season. In addition to chicken eggs, seasonal duck eggs and seasonal goose eggs, chicken, turkey, duck and seasonal goose are raised for meat. Beef (grass-fed and natural), grass-fed lamb, pork and rabbit are also available. All animals are treated humanely, allowed to associate with each other and cared for when sick using homeopathic remedies first."
Spring Field Farm website

So this morning I had 2 organic free range eggs with some hand picked strawberries and a slice of homemade french herb bread! It was so good. I even went into my garden and added some fresh thyme, oregano and chive! You can't get much fresher than that.

It was so yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment