Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thoughts...Ideas...New Stuff...

So I have been checking out other blogs and reading as much as I can to see how to improve mine and I have decided that I need to start writing the way I used to write. I love to write and I always have. When I was younger I wanted to be an author. I have a way that I write and I had been going away from that to try and make it sound more professional and I don't want to do that anymore..lol. I want it to sound like me! So that the first light bulb that came on. The second was that I am right now trying to train for the Falmouth Road Race in Cape Cod, MA this August. I had run this last year in 70 minutes. Its 7.1 miles so my 10 minute mile was great for me! This year I had wanted to run it in around an hour but seems like my legs have other ideas. So a little back story. Please sit down, relax, grab a drink and just read.....

So three years ago, wow I can't believe it has been that long, I decided that I wanted to run the race with my dad. You see both of my sister's had run with him already and I was the only one who hadn't done it. So I decided that I would be smart and train for 6 months for the race. I always wanted to be a runner. I would see people outside running and it looked so freeing and just amazing. But alas, I am not a runner. At all. Nope. Not even close. I have never gotten to the point where your legs just take over and you seem to be able to run forever. For me every step is tough, every mile seems so long and my body rebels every thought of running. So I started slow. I started on a treadmill. Yep that little machine that seems so nice and non threatening sitting there looking all innocent. Little did I know that there was a beast lurking inside. The days went on and I kept running. Some days I thought I would die and others I just thought I would throw up. About 2 months into training I noticed that my shins were hurting me when I wasn't running. Now they had been bothering me for a bit while I was running but I just figured my legs where not used to being told they had to run so they might be putting up a fight. I went to the doctors and she said that I had shin splints and I had to take a 2 week rest. Fine, whatever, I would put up my running shoes for 2 weeks and take a break. I continued to bike during that time and my legs continued to get worse. I went and had a bone density test done. So for everyone who has not had the pleasure of this let me just give you this imagine. Imagine the most uncomfortable table you have ever seen and just think of how it would feel to have to lie on it for 45 minutes and not move at all. Not one single flinch. And of course before the torture of laying there you have to get a shot full of dye so they can see your bones. Fun stuff. Results...negative. Nothing wrong. Next was the orthopedic. Xrays first and again nothing. So there I am sitting in the office and he squeezes my knee and I flew of the table. I told him he did that again and I might have to kick him..lol. So MRI's were in order. And not just one MRI but 6. Yes 6. That is 6 hours of my time laying strapped to a bed in a room under a machine. Man I was loving this.

Diagnoses....stress fractures both legs. Yep both of them. Same spot same fracture. Prescription...crutches for a year. So the time for the race came up and my whole family decided to run that year, since I was unable to. Now mind you I was the only one who had trained so I was in the best shape..lol. But they did it and not one could walk for the next 2 days! Fast forward to last year and I ran and I love/hated every minute. So I vowed that I would do it faster this year. Fast forward to now and I am training but I am struggling. See when you stress fracture anything and when you get shin splints you get them all the time. So I have to frequently take breaks from running.

So lets wrap this up. I have taken up a bunch of your time. I am calling out to all runners, new and seasoned. I need your help. I would love to hear how you trained for your races. How you started into running. And how you have overcome any problems that seem to get into your way.

I started this as a food blog and it will stay a food blog but I will add my training in here now as well.

Happy Eating...Happy Running.

No comments:

Post a Comment